Homemade Recipes From Our Kitchen
A collection of my recipes that have been tried and tested by my family and the feed back has been positive. I just love experimenting in the kitchen and trying out new ideas.
If you would like to share a recipe or idea with me please do so using either the comment form or the contact me form.
- Homemade Chicken Curry Recipeby Henry NorvalToday’s lunch will be a lovely spicy home-style chicken curry with soft fluffy potatoes. The nice thing about making curry dishes at home is that you can control the amount of heat that comes from the curry. There are quite a few varieties of curries you can use ranging from mild to fire hot. My […]
- Homemade Sweet Chilli Sauceby Henry NorvalSweet Chilli Sauce using Fresh Chillies Pour 1 cup of water into a saucepan Use about 5 nice sized red or green chilies – put these in the water and boil for about 10 minutes Pour the water and chilies from the saucepan into a blender Blend for about 1 minute – we don’t want […]
- How to Braai the South African wayby Henry NorvalOne thing I have noticed is that some people complicate everything related to a braai. It should be fun where family and friends can gather around a fire and just enjoy themselves. Keeping things simple Lets think what we need to turn that meat into something juicy and tender that can only be enjoyed. We […]
- Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipeby Henry NorvalWhat is more South African than a typical Braai with Wors, Chops, Steak and Pap with Homemade Tomato Sauce? It is just a way of life and there are few things nicer. This homemade tomato sauce recipe is my own that came from years of trial and error. I am not one that follows recipes […]
- Lamb Ribs Recipe or Skaapribbetjies Resepby Henry NorvalGetting tired of braaing lamb ribs on the braai? I was. Got this recipe from my Mother for delicious lamb ribs, rice and a lovely tomato sauce with potatoes. I remember eating this growing up and we fondly called it “Tamatie Kos”. Doing ribs on the braai has always been a bit of a battle […]
- Fried Chicken Liver Recipeby Henry NorvalHomemade fried chicken liver recipe that is real quick and easy to make. I love the rich taste of chicken livers and this method stays the nicest. If you have purchased the chicken livers frozen the first step is to defrost them. Once defrosted wash the chicken livers under cold water and remove any green […]
- Homemade Oxtail Recipeby Henry NorvalJust like all things in my life I like to keep my recipes simple and uncomplicated. This is my latest Oxtail Recipe that was prepared over the weekend of 19 and 20 October 2020 for my Mothers 82nd Birthday. This is an improvement on my previous attempt. History of Oxtail In years past the meat […]
- Homemade Curry Onions Recipeby Henry NorvalEasy to make homemade curry onions. Okay so I love curry so decided to try make curried onions. Got this recipe from my Mother and just had to give it a try. Ingredients for our Curry Onions 1 kG. Small onions. 2 Eggs 175 ml. Vinegar 1 Tablespoon Corn Flour 4 level Teaspoons Curry powder […]
- Homemade Pickled Onionsby Henry NorvalA very simple recipe to make Homemade Pickled Onions without much fuss. The hardest job is peeling the small pickling or pearl onions. Here is a simple way of removing the skin from the onions. Cut the root ends off the onions Place the onions in boiling water for about 30 seconds After the 30 […]
- Homemade Pickled Chilli Recipeby Henry NorvalIf you grow your own chilli plants at home you will possibly end up with more chillies than you can use. That is where this Homemade Pickled Chilli Recipe comes in handy. You can preserve the chillies well into the winter months. There is also the possibility of making various chilli sauces but they do not last […]